Happy Sunday everyone! I apologize for the lack of posts this month, things have been a little crazy both personally and professionally. My best friend got married at the beginning of the month, and we spent a long weekend in Arizona celebrating. I could not be happy for her and her new hubby. 🙂 But I promise I have lots of new fall-themed recipes to share with you starting with this one! Apple Pie Roll-ups.
Imagine the crispy, fried deliciousness of an egg roll dipped in sauce and now imagine the same egg roll yet stuffed with apple pie filling and dipped in homemade whipped cream instead of sweet & sour. YUM. For this recipe you will need: apples, egg roll wraps, lemon juice, cinnamon, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, vegetable oil, powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream. I got my apples from a local fruit farm called Lynd’s. They were amazing.
Prepare whipped cream first. Place a mixing bowl & whisks in the freezer for about 10-20 minutes. Place powdered sugar in the bowl. Add whipping cream and vanilla extract. Beat just until peaks form. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
In a medium-sized saucepan add diced apples, lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Bring to slight boil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile whisk together cornstarch and water. Pour into the apple mixture. Bring back to boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract. Remove from heat and stir. Allow to cool slightly.
Place about 1/4 cup of the apple mixture into each egg roll at the bottom of one corner. Fold the left/right edges in first, then roll from the bottom up to the top. Secure with a tiny bit of water.
While you’re rolling up your apple pie rolls, get your vegetable oil ready. Pour into a deep skillet or pan (deep fryer also obviously works but most of us aren’t blessed with them at home) and make sure it’s enough to completely submerge the rolls. Heat over medium-high heat until you see wisps of smoke. It should be about 350 degrees. Work in batches to not crowd the rolls. Once the underside is golden brown, flip the roll until the other side browns as well. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool.
Top Apple Pie Roll-ups with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream. Enjoy!
- Whipped cream (1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp. powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 3-4 apples, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- egg roll wraps
- vegetable oil
- Prepare whipped cream. Place mixing bowl/whisks in freezer for 20 minutes. Add sugar to bowl. Add cream and vanilla. Beat just until peaks form. Place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Add apples, cinnamon, lemon juice and sugar to a medium-sized saucepan and combine over medium-high heat.
- Whisk cornstarch and ⅓ cup water in a small bowl. Pour into apple mixture.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract in and stir. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add vegetable oil to a deep skillet or pot (enough to submerge the rolls) over medium-high heat.
- While oil is heating, place ¼ apple pie mixture into each egg roll wrap at the bottom corner.
- Fold in sides then roll up from bottom to top.
- Secure with a little water.
- Once oil reaches about 350 degrees or until you see tiny wisps of smoke form, add your rolls.
- Fry until each side is golden brown.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool slightly.
- Top with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream.