Whenever I have the time I love to make my pitas from scratch. They have so much more flavor and are healthier than the ones you buy at the store. And it’s a lot more inexpensive! You should have all the ingredients in your kitchen, and it makes a ton of pitas/flatbreads! I love using them for all kinds of recipes! The most common are my pita pizzas, flatbreads and chicken gyros which I’ll be sharing soon! All you need is water, active dry yeast, olive oil, honey, flour and salt. Start by combining warm water, yeast, honey and olive oil in a large bowl. Mix with a spoon. Sit aside in a warm area until foamy (about 10-15 minutes).
Add flour and salt and stir until the dough begins to come together.
Form dough into a ball. It should start to come together but still be sticky. Remove it to a floured surface. Add more flour as you knead for a few minutes.
Add some olive oil to the same large bowl and turn to coat surface. Add ball of dough and turn to coat as well. Place a towel over bowl and move to a warm place for 1 1/2 hours to allow for dough to rise.
Once the dough has risen, lightly punch down. Remove back to floured surface.
With a rolling pin roll out the dough into your desired shape. (Putting flour on the rolling pin will keep it from sticking to the dough.)
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add pita/flatbread and cook until bubbles begin to appear on surface and bottom is golden brown, then flip and cook opposite side until golden brown.
Remove to a plate to cool and repeat with remaining pitas. Enjoy!
- ½ cup warm water
- 1½ tsp. active dry yeast
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tbsp. honey
- 1⅓ cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- Add water, yeast, olive oil and honey to a large bowl.
- Mix then let sit until foamy (10-15 mins).
- Add about ¾ cup flour and salt. Mix together and form into a ball.
- Remove to a floured surface and knead in the rest of the flour.
- Knead for a few minutes.
- Add a little more olive oil to the same bowl and turn to coat.
- Add ball of dough back to bowl and turn to coat with olive oil.
- Cover with a towel and place in a warm spot for 1½ hours to rise.
- Once risen, punch down and remove back to floured surface.
- Roll out into desired shapes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add pita/flatbread and cook until bubbles begin to appear on surface and bottom is golden brown, then flip and cook opposite side until golden brown.
- Remove to a plate to cool and repeat.