Can you believe Christmas is in just a little over a week?! This year has flown. I can’t believe Brad and I have been engaged almost a year as well. We’ve definitely kept busy this year that’s for sure. After 9 weddings (3 of which were destination) and 4 destination bachelorette parties I was a little disappointed I wasn’t going to be able to squeeze in a Bears game this year (for the first time in ages!). Last weekend Brad surprised me with a weekend trip to Cinci for the Bears/Bengals game and to catch up with some of our friends there. He wins at surprise trips especially involving Bears games! We definitely enjoyed spending the year celebrating so many of our friends and now can’t wait for 2018 for our turn! This weekend includes lots of Christmas shopping and tonight lots of Christmas parties! Also having a pizza party tomorrow for my grandma’s 85th birthday. 🙂 But before I have to run off to get ready let’s talk about this spicy soup! ^^^
For my Spicy Southwest Chicken Soup you will need red and green bell peppers, yellow onion, garlic, chipotles in adobo, diced green chileis, diced tomatoes, lime juice, pinto beans, black beans…
…. chicken broth, corn, chicken, cilantro, olive oil jalapenos, spinach, cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, salt & pepper!
Begin by adding oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once warm sauté chicken (in small pieces) until browned. Remove to a plate. Add more oil to the pot and sauté onion, garlic, red/green/jalapeno peppers for 5-8 minutes. Next add your chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, green chilies, chipotles in adobo and chicken to pot. Bring to boil, add all spices and stir. Reduce heat to simmer for one hour.
Stir in spinach, cilantro and lime juice. Simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve with fresh cilantro, jalapenos and cheese! Be warned – this soup is v spicy!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, diced (slice some thicker pieces for serving at end)
- 2 - 32 oz boxes of chicken broth
- 1 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 frozen bag of corn
- 1 small can of diced green chilies
- 1 small can of chipotles in adobo sauce (chop chipotles)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, more for serving
- juice from 1 lime
- Shredded cheese (optional)
- Add 1 tbsp. oil to large pot over medium heat.
- Once warm add chicken and cook for about 6 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add 1 tbsp. oil back to pot and warm.
- Add onion, garlic and peppers to pot. Sauté 5-8 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, chilies, chipotles, and chicken to pot.
- Bring to boil. Stir in spices.
- Reduce heat to simmer for one hour.
- Stir in spinach, cilantro and lime juice. Simmer 10 more minutes.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, jalapenos and cheese.